Sunday, August 19, 2007

Getting Healthy

Sometimes it is hard to get motivated to get healthy and exercise but now I am motivated by my son. I need to do it for his sake and his health. He is a little overweight but I never believed it to be extreme. I got this book Trim Kids. It is a 12-week program to gets kids to eat healthier and become more active. It more a family program then just the individual kid because the parent is the coach and cheerleader and the parents needs to be a good role model... anyways... In this book one needs to figure out the child's BMI to know what level the child is. Level I - Red is severely overweight. Level II - Yellow is overweight. Level III - Green is at risk for overweight and Level IV - Blue is healthy weight. Hayden is Level I with a BMI of 23. This is scary for me! He is 91 lbs and 53" tall. For him to be a healthy weight for his height he needs to be at 70 lbs!

We will be starting the program tomorrow with healthier eating, needing to lay off the three glasses of Kool-Aid a day, and exercising 20 minutes a day. This books has some good recipes and plenty of exercises for kids to try out. I think it is going to fun. An interesting fact that was stated in the book was if one of the parents are overweight, than the child have a 40% chance of becoming an overweight adult and if both of the child's parents are overweight than the chance of the child becoming over weight doubles to 80%! I need to nip this in the bud. It not just affecting my life anymore.

1 comment:

Edward Charles said...

Way to go, girl! What a great mom you are. Keep up the good work. We know y'all can do it!